Quarterly: Issue No 64
IN HONOUR OF OUR BELOVED PROPHET
All Praise is due solely to Allah—Glorified be His Name—and peace and blessings of Allah be upon His beloved Messenger Muhammad, his family and all his companions. Ameen!
Allah, Glorified be His Name, says:
“We have not sent you (O Prophet Muhammad) except as a Mercy to the Worlds.” (Qur’an: Surah 21 Ayah 107)
Humanity, both Muslims and Non-Muslims bear testimony to the excellent character of the Noble and Last Messenger of Allah (Glorified be His Name). It is tragic that every now and then, biased and offensive works against Islam and Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) are circulated in the media, including the recent provocative anti-Prophet film and a satirical French magazine published new cartoons mocking Prophet Muhammad (peace be on him). It is a repeated scenario: the same messages of enmity, hate and antagonism are being recycled again and again.
Any film or publication which vilifies any Prophet of Almighty Allah (peace be upon them) justifies condemnation. This film not only vilifies the personality who is revered by billions of followers in every part of the world, but it also constitutes a deliberately grave misrepresentation.
The offensive film is directed at the following mischief:
FIRSTLY, it is obviously intended to create the furor and backlash which it has achieved. The evil perpetrators of this heinous conduct i.e. all those associated, in any way whatsoever with the creation and dissemination of such film intended and effectuated the loss of lives and other negative consequences that have since ensued.
SECONDLY, these evil doers are also driven by the desire to profit as much as possible financially from such unconscionable conduct; and in compromise of all and any semblance of decency - they have traded their souls for money.
Loving the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) and feeling offended when he is insulted is undoubtedly expected from every Muslim; and is a fundamental part of their Belief (Imaan). However, the way such good feelings are put in action makes a huge difference. A wise response would turn such a challenge into a great opportunity to reach out to people and to raise their awareness about the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) and his message. Our response should be wise, tactful and calculated so that it has the greatest impact.
What can we do?
· Turn to Allah (Glory be to Him) by means of Prayer (Supplication) and ask Him to protect the honour and dignity of Muhammad (peace be upon him). Indeed all affairs are only in the Control of Allah
· Appropriate legal and other proceedings be instituted against the perpetrators as no reasonable and civilized society should and would tolerate such heinous and lowly conduct
· Extensive public condemnation together with adequate penalties and punishment within the relevant legal framework should be imposed and in this respect both appropriate criminal and civil proceedings should be instituted
· Increase the recitation of Salaat and Salaam (Durood Shareef / sending blessings) on the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him)
· Demonstrate to the world the excellent Akhlaaq (Character) of Muhammad (peace be upon him) by inculcating within us his noble lifestyle (Sunnah)
· Make it our duty to educate our family, friends and colleagues about the Great Last and Final Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) who has indeed been sent as a Mercy to the Entire Humanity. Also ask our local Islamic Scholars (Ulama) to educate the public and create awareness.
The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said:
“None of you have faith (Imaan) until I am more beloved to him than his parents, his children and all mankind”. (Hadith: Bukhari and Muslim)
“One who attains the following three things will taste the sweetness of Imaan: to make Allah and His Messenger more beloved to himself than anything else; to love a person for no other reason except for
the sake of Allah; and to hate to return to disbelief (kufr) just as much as he would hate to be thrown into fire.” (Hadith: Bukhari and Muslim)
O My Beloved ALLAH! We ask You to fill our hearts with the true and immense love of You and Your Beloved Messenger (Prophet Muhammad) Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam - and keep us alive on His Sunnah and bless us with death of Imaan in the City of your Beloved Messenger. Ameen!
HATRED, MALICE AND JEALOUSY
REFLECTING ON DEATH
Allah (Glorified be His Name) says:
“The mutual rivalry for piling up (the good things of this world) diverts you (from the more serious things) - until you visit the graves.” [Surah At-Takaathur, Ayah 1-2]
Truly, competing in accumulating material worldly things causes destruction for oneself in both the worlds. But what is its cure? “until you visit the graves”.
Imam Qurtubi (rahimahullah) explains in his Tafseer: “The scholars say: it is recommended for him who wants to cure the diseases of his heart and who sincerely wants to start obeying Allah to
(1) think about the destroyer of pleasures, the separator of groups and the finisher of sons and daughters (death),
(2) see those who have passed away at funerals, and
(3) visit the graves.”
O Allah! Your Forgiveness is far greater than my sins and I have more hope in Your Mercy than in my own deeds.
Requesting your humble duas!
Abdul Haq Abdul Kadir
Kyalami Glen, Gauteng
Johannesburg, South Africa