Quarterly: Issue No 20
NEW "PRINCIPLES" THAT CAN DESTROY WORLD PEACE
As the US murder of unarmed and distressed Afghans continues and intensifies each day, the simultaneous murder of values and universally accepted fundamental human principles is taking place on such a wide scale that if the world leaders still choose not to remove the blindfold of American influence from their eyes the whole world will turn into a perpetual inferno of violence and chaos.
The fact is US has created such monstrous precedents in her war hysteria that if the present state of affairs were to prolong, there could only be rule of arms and violence on the surface of the earth and the notion of peace and stability will vanish from this world.
As a sequel to the tragic incident of September
11th the brand new set of principles in human, moral and international values
that the rulers of the
1. Guilt has to be proven before a punishment can be meted out to an
accused i.e. innocent until proven guilty is such an established principle
since antiquity that not one civilization in the world has ever differed with
it. But in the case of Usama Bin Laden and
2. Until this day it was an accepted principle that the benefit of doubt always went to the accused. If the evidence that exists against the accused contains an element of ambiguity the accused could never be punished under such circumstances. Now the freshly introduced principle states that the benefit of doubt goes to the one who unilaterally decides to accuse another, implying that the accused can be declared a convict simply on the basis of doubt.
3. To this day the international law and norms dictated that if an accused
happens to be in another country, he or she can be tried in a court in that
country only, unless there is an explicit treaty for extradition between these
countries in which case the accused may be handed over to the complaining
country to be tried in a court of law. There exists no Extradition treaty or
agreement between US and
The demand "Hand him over to us" is
providing an analogy and an excuse to every bully on the earth. As a direct
4. Another established principle of civilized society has been that the punishment can only be given to the one who has committed the crime not to another person instead. The innovative new principle now allows that along with the criminal punish the whole country and its innocent civilians. In fact in the present American move the very person who is accused to have committed the crime and is sought to be punished is tucked in safety and instead thousands of those people are being maimed, made homeless and destitute who had probably never even heard the name of World Trade Centre.
5. International norms dictate and US itself has on numerous occasions advised conflicting parties to settle issues through talks and negotiations but in the case of Afghanistan it simply announced that doors are completely closed to negotiations. Another new fundamental that emerges is that if you have the might and power you need not negotiate or talk, simply run over the less powerful.
6. A recognized principle has been that a sovereign state cannot be forced to participate in a war. Now a new principle has been brazenly made acceptable that if a mighty and powerful country wishes, it can coerce a smaller country to act against its conscience and join the "coalition" or else be prepared to be consigned to the Stone Age. In this way, a powerful bully can put together a large coalition of its choice to thrust upon a pauperized and weak nation if it so desires. The small and less powerful countries have been deprived not only of the right to act according to their conscience but even the right to remain neutral has been made non-existent; the only option for the weaker country is to side with the bully.
7. In whatever laws are passed in the international forums and bodies, so much so that even in the case of individual resolutions every word used in the drafts is thoroughly reviewed and only after long debates the selection of a word is made for the draft resolutions (very rightly so). The purpose behind such prolonged deliberations has been to keep the resolutions clear of ambiguity lest a member state draw advantage from the loose ends creating conflicts and disagreements as a result. However, the recent anti-terrorism resolution passed by the Security Council of the United Nations in a matter of hours contains no definition of the concept of "terrorism" opening up the doors wide open for the mighty on the earth to accuse anybody of terrorism and for that instantly flash the Security Council's resolution to give legitimacy to its action.
8. Taking a human life is that extreme step which attracts immense
precautions in framing of laws. And even when the law necessitates that a life
be taken, a capital punishment be meted out, the methods devised for the
execution are ensured to live up to the standards of equity and justice. Now
the new edict. The
9. International laws governing the conduct of wars view as criminal acts the senseless bombing of civilian targets, hospitals, Red Cross centres etc. But, in the past three weeks the impunity with which the civilians are being bombed and hospitals targeted, and the brazenness shown over and above all this - that not a word of remorse or apology is forthcoming is further consolidating the principle that for the mighty every (criminal) act is legitimate.
The question is, will the new set of principles that is being given to the world and new precedents that are being drawn along these lines, will these eliminate terrorism or lend perpetuity to it? Will the world become a more peaceful place as a result or will be inflamed in a vicious cycle of violence? Will these new principles breed love or promote intense hatred?
[This Article was published in
Urdu by Daily Jang in
THE WAR ON ISLAM
Its hard to believe for many among us, but the
fact is that the
Undoubtedly, Pervez Musharraf has taken all the decisions in the best interest
of the state, but the secret and open demands would never stop until we fully
surrender our souls, our faith and ourselves. It is a campaign
against Islamic world. Apart from other undeniable evidence, consider the
following fact to fully understand the
argument that contrary to all the claims of American leadership, this is
a war on Islam. According to well placed sources, in the Fall of 1993 at the
initiative of Clinton-Gore government, a secret conference of anti-Islam forces
was called in
Naturally, no serious Muslim was represented in
the conference. The main resolution was to fight Islam the way West fought
communism and defeat Islam even if it took 70-80 years. At least one of the
resolutions was to remove "fundamentalist Islam" from the West and
fight Islam in the Muslim majority countries. Islamic movements like those of Tanzeem-e-Islami, Jamaat-e-Islami,
Ikhwan al-Muslimoon and
similar movements are their main targets. All the recent development are simply
directed to bring this war from
The American methodology against movement
orientated organizations is infiltration, spreading rumors, sowing dissensions
within the organization leadership, and now outright ban on religious parties
that refuse to tread the line set forth as acceptable to
The first weapon is its international weight and influence in the Islamic world, particularly after the second Gulf War policy, which resulted in further consolidation of its influence.
The second weapon is it's ensuring others' participation in the
campaign against Islam. The
The third weapon is the international law, and its tools represented by the UN, its charter and its other sub-organizations which the US employs to implement its sinister designs.
The fourth weapon is the world media dominated by the
The fifth, the ugliest and most dangerous of
these weapons are the agent
rulers and the circle around them of underlings, hypocrites, opportunists and
those lured by the liberal culture and fascinated by its way of life. All of these are paid or blessed by the
than secularists, calling for the detachment of religion from life.
The CIA, as the arm of the
On the other hand, the CIA is especially keen on promoting liberal politicians and protecting disillusioned Muslim leaders. The present funding of the secularists and westernised human rights activists reminds on of the CLA, which promoted anticommunist writers by funding lavish conferences in Paris, Berlin, and Bellagio (overlooking Lake Como), where objective social scientists and philosophers like Isaiah Berlin, Daniel Bell, and Czeslow Milosz preached their values (and the virtues of Western freedom and intellectual independence, within the anticommunist and pro-Washington parameters defined by their CIA paymasters).
The singular lasting, damaging influence of the
CIA's buying our leaders and intellectuals is not their specific defences of US imperialist policies, but their success in
imposing on subsequent generations the idea of excluding any sustained
discussion of US involvement in our internal affairs through sheer terror and
injustice. The issue is not that today's intellectuals or leaders may or may
not take an Islamic position on this or that issue. The problem is the
pervasive belief among writers and leaders that anti-US
expressions should not appear in their speech and writing if they want to be successful in their careers. The enduring political victory of the CIA through buying out our leaders and influencing our policies without any hurdle is to convince the rest of us that serious and sustained political, economic and social development is incompatible with our religious beliefs and practices.
On the authority of Abu Dharr al-Ghifari (radiyallahu anhu) from our beloved Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) is that among the sayings he relates from his Lord is that Allah says:
O My servants, I have forbidden oppression for Myself and have made it forbidden amongst you, so do not oppress one another.
O My servants, all of you are astray except for those I have guided, so seek guidance of Me and I shall guide you.
O My servants, all of you are hungry except for those I have fed, so seek food of Me and I shall feed you.
O My servants, all of you are naked except for those I have clothed, so seek clothing of Me and I shall clothe you.
O My servants, you sin by night and by day, and I forgive all sins, so seek forgiveness of Me and I shall forgive you.
O My servants, you will not attain harming Me so as to harm Me, and will not attain benefiting Me so as to benefit Me.
O My servants, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to be as pious as the most pious heart of any one man of you, that would not increase My kingdom in anything.
O My servants, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to be as wicked as the most wicked heart of any one man of you, that would not decrease My kingdom in anything.
O My servants, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to rise up in one place and make a request of Me, and were I to give everyone what he requested, that would not decrease what I have, any more that a needle decreases the sea if put into it.
O My servants, it is but your deeds that I
reckon up for you and then
recompense you for; so let him who finds good, praise Allah; and let him who finds other, then blame no one but himself.
(Muslim; Tirmizi; Ibn Majah)
I request your humble du'aas.
Abdul Haq Abdul Kadir
Umhlanga Rocks, KZN