Quarterly: Issue No 15
JERUSALEM IS IN NEED of YOUR VOICE
Muslim community leaders throughout the country
should focus one recent upcoming Jumu’ah khutbah on
Since the end of
have been moving rapidly:
- President Clinton is seeking to blame the failure of Camp David II on the Palestinians
- Israeli plans to gain full control of the Al-Aqsa musjid and the Haram Shareef are nearing completion.
policies of Judaization in
many Muslims from travelling to
Muslims from travelling to Makkah Mukarramah.
- During an interview last week President Clinton indicated has “always wanted to move the embassy”
plans to “review” the prospect of relocating the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to
minister Barak claims that the move will take place by
- If the embassy moves it will be seen as a formal recognition by the United States of Israel’s illegal claim
- Assistant Secretary of State Edward Walker is touring the
on the Palestinians to surrender
Palestinians may be susceptible to this kind of pressure.
It seems that
JEWISH ENCROACHMENT ON AL-AQSA
Hundreds of East Alquds Muslims in August 2000 repulsed several attempts by extremist Jews to forcibly enter the Haram Shareef, the plaza housing the Aqsa Musjid and the Dome of the Rock. The site is considered one of Islam's holiest sites.
Palestinian sources said scores of extremists led by Gershon Solomon, head of the so-called Temple Mount Faithful, attempted twice to force their way into the Haram Shareef but were repulsed by Muslims who converged to the site, heeding a call to that effect from Muslim Wakf officials. Wakf officials reportedly warned Israeli police officials that "lots of blood would be spilt" if the extremists were allowed into the Haram Shareef. The police ostensibly took Wakf warnings seriously, and prevented the extremists from proceeding toward the Musjid's gates.
The Jewish Temple Mount Faithful extremists tried
again to have their way to the Haram Shareef, using the Maghariba Gate, but
were again repulsed by Muslim youth at the site. Earlier, Muslim officials in Alquds warned
the Israeli government against "any aggression on Islamic holy places in
Sheikh Ikrima Sabri, the Mufti of Palestine, told reporters that any aggression on the Haram Shareef would spark off an uncontrollable fire not only in
A spokesman of the Jordanian Islamic Action Front Hamza Mansour has warned that the holy Aqsa Mosque was in danger of falling down due to continuation of Zionist digging under it especially the latest 400 meters tunnel. Mansour charged that Jews did not conceal their devilish plans to destroy, burn or dig under the foundations of the Aqsa Mosque so that if it fell down it would look as if destroyed following a natural disaster.
He severely criticized Palestinian Authority
officials who declared their readiness to give up sovereignty over the Buraq (Wailing) Wall, which is one of the
Aqsa walls, or the Maghariba suburb or eastern
The partisan official, addressing a Friday
congregation in one of
Dealing with anti-islamic websites
One of the downsides of the internet is that it has given our critics and enemies an opportunity to publicly defame the religion of Islam. This is the price we pay of having freedom of speech. Sometimes we have to read and hear things which are just plain detestable.
The fact of the matter is that Islam has been defamed from the very beginning by its enemies and this is not about to change anytime soon. What's more, since Muslims are in a very weak position these days, the amount of anti-Islamic propaganda is on the rise from many quarters. I am sure we have all encountered numerous websites which have slandered our Beloved Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam), twisted the meaning of the Qur'an, attacked the companions of the prophet, etc. The more disturbing thing is the ease with which millions of people now have access to this information as a result of the growth of the internet.
Our first reaction is to get angry and get all fired up with a zeal to do something about it when we find these offensive sites. It is indeed a good sign of strong faith if we get angry when our faith is under attack, and may Allah always keep our faith in Islam strong.
One must keep in mind that for the most part, these people are interested in nothing more that to arouse feelings of hatred and fury against Muslims and generating poisonous feelings in the hearts of the readers. Some websites are much more subtle, however, and criticise Islam in a more "civilised" manner. Actually, this second kind of approach may be more dangerous as they tend to leave the impression that they are honestly seeking the truth, when in fact they are not.
Here are a few suggestions on dealing with these anti-Islamic websites so that we can counter this continuing and mounting menace more effectively:
1) Keep cool: It is good to be angry when you see Islam attacked, but keep your cool and act with a level head. When we are overly angry we cannot act rationally and thus we undermine our goals. We will do and say things which later on we will regret. For example, we may be tempted to attack the person's religion in a bad way which is not permissible in Islam.
2) Don't write the webmaster back unless you are ready: For the most part these people thrive on confrontation. They would love for you to respond and are ready for a quick answer. Remember, many of these people know a lot about Islam so if you are not ready for them they will soundly defeat you in any argument. Also, if you answer back but don't have the proper knowledge you will end up making Islam and Muslims look worse. Some webmasters actually post all responses on the website for all to read. The more silly the response then the more likely it will be placed on the site. Please note, just because someone wins a particular argument does not mean they are right. The loser may just not have all the information on hand at the time of the argument.
3) Don't try to have the page removed from the internet: Many Muslims try to have the website removed from the internet altogether by writing the company which hosts the site and complaining. In my opinion this is a waste of time. Even if the host removed the site they can open up in a few days under another host, so our time is wasted on such efforts.
4) Don't publicise the site to others: One of the biggest mistakes we commit is to tell others about the offensive website. All this does is give the site owner free publicity which is what he/she wants. If you see an offensive site don't spread it all over the place as you are actually helping the site owner when doing this.
5) Best defence is a good offence: Finally, the best defence against anti-Islamic websites is to develop your own excellent website which presents Islam in a beautiful and accurate manner. Our Ulama should take the leading role in this matter. Many people are out there searching for answers and more and more are turning to the internet to find these answers. Possibly they could visit your website and as a result become a Muslim. Also, other Muslims could use your site to get information they need for da’wah or research and Allah will reward you for providing this service. Even if you cannot start a website, you can at least submit articles to existing websites which they can use so that all can get the benefit. Remember, you can play a valuable role in improving the Islamic content on the internet. Don't wait for someone else to do it.
A GREAT DU’AA FOR DAILY SUPPLICATION
In the name of Allah, the All-Beneficent, the All-Merciful.
O Allah, I ask forgiveness of You for everything for which I repented to You then returned to. And I ask forgiveness of You for everything I displeased You with and all that concerns me with which You are displeased. And I ask forgiveness of You for the favours which I used for increasing my disobedience towards You. And I ask forgiveness of You for the sins which no one knows except You, and no one sees except You, and nothing encompasses me except Your Mercy and nothing delivers me from except Your forgiveness and clemency. There is no god except You alone. You are the Most High, and I was one of the self oppressors.
O Allah, I ask forgiveness of You for the injustice I committed against Your servants. Whatever of Your male or female servants whom I have hurt, physically or in their dignity or in their property, give them of Your bounty which lacks nothing. And I ask You to honour me with Your mercy which encompasses all things. Do not humble me with Your punishment but give me what I ask of You, for I am in great need of Your mercy, O Most Merciful of the merciful. O Allah! Send blessings upon Muhammad, his family and all his companions. Ameen.